Monday, September 8, 2008

Week 13 Complete!

What a tough week to get through. The Republican convention gave me an ulcer. Too much tv and internet surfing caused major sleep deprivation. I barely made it through my runs. I did switch to running in the evening because I stayed up way too late at night to get up early. Jenny and I did surpass another huge milestone in Week 13 - 18 miles on Saturday. That's so insane I still can't believe it. We ran for 3 hours, 12 minutes. Unreal. The weather conditions were much more favorable than when we did the 16 miles so we actually ran it in less time this weekend. My legs were hurting pretty bad after about mile 14 but otherwise it really wasn't that difficult. I had to goo-up 3 times so that helped keep my energy level up. I thought I had solved the blister problem earlier in the week - baby powder in my socks - but they were back Saturday. Sigh. My poor feet will never be the same after this.

After the 18-miler, I basically crashed for the rest of the weekend. Saturday I spent the entire day and evening on the couch. My legs hurt so bad I could hardly walk. And my groin pull or strain cropped up again so I had to go to the corn niblets. Icing your groin isn't a particularly wonderful feeling. After sleeping as still as a log all night Saturday, I could barely get out of bed Sunday morning. It was like I had legs made out of wood. Every step or twist and turn and I moaned "aghhhh" "ohhhhhhhh" "ughhhhhhhh" "&#$&*". I've read you can take an ice bath to help the legs recover after such a long run but the thought of getting in my bathtub full of ice and cold water doesn't really appeal to me. I don't care how bad my legs hurt. I'll stick to the corn niblets.

A recap of Week 13:
  • Monday - rest day
  • Tuesday - 4 miles
  • Wednesday - 7 miles (the wind was so bad from the Gustav storm front it was like running in place along the lakefront)
  • Thursday - 5 miles (had to do it on the treadmill due to thunderstorms)
  • Friday - rest day
  • Saturday - 18 miles
  • Sunday - cross training (walking - like the tin man - for 40 minutes)
This upcoming week, Turtle's taking the training to the Sunshine state. Heading out Thursday evening for a USF game Friday night. Go Bulls!

I can't get into politics on this blog but people who know me know where I stand. All I can ask is that everyone does his/her homework and know where the candidates stand on all the issues. Don't vote based on gender, race, who you like or tells the best jokes... read your newspaper, research online, visit the candidates' web sites, talk to other people. This is perhaps the most important election of our generation. Make your vote count.

No comments: