Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Week 16 Complete - 2 weeks to go!!

Turtle rebounded this week. It was tough coming back from that dreadful 20-mile training run last Sunday, but what choice do I have?? I've been training for 4 months and only have 2 weeks to go until the big day. I just have to try and keep getting out for my runs and keep the aches and pains in check. I went back to the icy hot for my right leg - hip area. I have some weird arthritis-like pain in my right hip area - probably my IT band... it doesn't hurt after running a few miles so it must loosen up and after a long run it tightens up like nobody's business. It's not horribly painful... just makes me hobble around like a little old lady if I've been sedentary for an hour or so. Motrin is my new best friend.

I am running out of appetizing carbs that I can eat in large quantities. The rice is okay but not very substantive. I kind of got off the baked potatoes but guess I could try those again. Short of just tearing through an entire loaf of bread I'm out of ideas. Cereal is a given in my daily diet so I don't think that's anything worthwhile for all this running. After reading a tip in a marathon training book, I tried chocolate milk as a recovery drink after long runs. It's so yummy I started 'recovering' every morning - until I read how many fat grams is in one little bottle and that was the end of that. I've lost 12 lbs. since starting this journey and I hope to lose a few more by the end of this. Anyway back to the carbs - seriously I need some ideas people!! A personal chef would have really been helpful these past few months. I'll have to remember that for next year if I do this again. :-)

A recap of Week 16:
  • Monday - rest day
  • Tuesday - 5 miles (I ran my old route along the river and on the way back saw the man - Kung Foo Yoga dude. He was winding down on his mat by the river.)
  • Wednesday - 8 miles (the last time I have to run 8 miles at the ass-crack of dawn in the middle of the week!!)
  • Thursday - couldn't get out of bed so this turned into a rest day
  • Friday - 4 miles (I made up for Thursday!)
  • Saturday - 12 miles (I tried some electrolyte tablets that seemed to really help my stamina. Jenny and I ran 10.5 minute miles in a low amount of humidity)
  • Sunday - cross training (walking)
Peace out people! Until next week. Oh - fans... 2 more weeks of training = 2 more weeks to donate to PAWS. I still have $200 to get to the minimum or they yank me at the start line. Okay they may still let me run but I won't have access to those special porta-potties. Come on; donate!!!!

No comments: